At the Singapore Management University
The Creativity Workshop in Singapore will help you become more creative in your personal and professional life. We use many techniques in creative writing, memoir, art, photography, storytelling, mapmaking, and guided visualization to accomplish this.
- Participants come from many different countries and professional fields, including business, education, psychology, the sciences, and the arts.
- Many people who have taken the Workshop say that it was a transformative experience, helping them to write their books, start new companies, complete long overdue projects, transition to rewarding retirements, and change the way they look at life.
- Many people who have taken the Workshop say that our creativity classes were a transformative experience, helping them to write their books, start new companies,
complete long overdue projects, transition to rewarding retirements, and change the way they look at life.
- This weekend intensive Creativity Workshop meets from 9 AM to 1 PM.
- It will take place at the Singapore Management University.
This pristine city-state is home to several different cultures, making this the perfect spot to excite your imagination, as creativity flourishes in places where different traditions and histories converge.
What Will You Learn?
The Creativity Workshop is an experiential course of doing and experimenting. Our exercises and instructors’ talks focus on helping you:
- Learn practical techniques to stimulate your imagination and innovative thinking.
- Explore the process of creativity, rather than simply focusing on the product.
- Discover how to find inspiration in the world around you.
- Get over creative blocks and the fear of failure.
- Work with many different mediums to develop your creativity in your chosen field.
- Use your memories to trigger your imagination.
- Engage your curiosity every day and make it work for you.
- Establish a 15 minute a day creativity practice to accomplish your goals after the Workshop ends.
(Order and kinds of exercises and instructors’ talks may vary. Some exercises are done individually while others are collaborative.)
Day 1: Thursday, November 16
- Introduction to the hows and whys of The Creativity Workshop.
- Relaxation: Exercises in relaxation techniques to help your imagination flow.
- Guided Visualization: Calling forth the vocabulary of your imagination using the myth of the hero’s journey as a framework.
- Automatic Drawing: Finding our hidden imagery in abstract images.
- Show and Tell: Retrieving and sharing childhood memories to spark new ideas. This exercise will sharpen your storytelling skills.
The Interview: An exercise in listening, transposing, and transforming.
- Instructors’ talk: How some famous writers, scientists, and artists found their inspiration, and how you can use some of their methods to find yours.
- The importance of play in creative work.
- Valuing creative process over product.
Day 2: Friday, November 17
- Guided Visualization: Mapmaking as a way to find, chart, and communicate your creative process and projects.
- Automatic/Free Writing: How automatic writing (also known as “free writing”) can help you create in new and surprising ways. How you can use automatic writing to outrunyour inner judge, get over creative blocks, and discover new ways of developing and editing written work. How alternating between writing and drawing canhelp you develop creative flexibility and mental dexterity.
Miniature Worlds: Storytelling with found objects.
- The Interview:
- Instructors’ talks may include:
- How to do ongoing creative work in short modules of time.
- How to use luck and coincidence to jump-start creative projects.
Day 3: Saturday, November 18
- Guided visualization: Letter writing as a way to express voice, character, and audience.
- Automatic Writing: Writing in Groups. How writing and/or drawing with others can stimulate your imagination and expand your point of view.
- Guided visualization: The Myth of the Other.
Imagining yourself living a parallel life. What would you do that you aren’t doing now?
- The Sand Mandala: Making an Illuminated Manuscript.
- Final Exercise: Putting It All Together
- Instructors’ talks may include:
- The Gift of the Amateur.
- Creativity is a Muscle: Use it or Lose it.
- Making your home and work environments inspiring.
- How to stay creative after The Creativity Workshop ends.
To reserve your place: we require a non-refundable $50 deposit.
After August 17, 2017: full payment is required.
Hotel Suggestions in Singapore
We do not offer hotel packages for our Singapore workshops.
Here are our suggestions for hotels near the area where the workshop will take place.
By registering you agree with our Terms and Conditions.
“The workshop was inspiring and helpful! Your workshop has rekindled the spirit of creativity within me. Your exercises proved to me that everyone is creative by nature and just needs to learn how to trust it and release it.”