The Creativity Workshop in Sydney
November 16 – 18 , 2017
The Creativity Workshop in Singapore will help you become more creative in your personal and professional life. We use many techniques in creative writing memoir, art, photography, storytelling, mapmaking, mindfulness and guided visualization to help you explore your inner creativity.
What Will You Learn?
The Creativity Workshop is an experiential course of doing and experimenting. Our exercises and instructors’ talks focus on helping you learn practical techniques to stimulate your imagination and innovative thinking.
- Explore the process of creativity, rather than simply focusing on the product.
- Discover how to find inspiration in the world around you.
- Get over creative blocks and the fear of failure.
- Work with many different mediums to develop your creativity in your chosen field.
- Use your memories to trigger your imagination.
- Engage your curiosity every day and make it work for you.
- Establish a 15 minute a day creativity practice to accomplish your goals after the Workshop ends.
Traveling outside one’s own culture is known tobe one of the greatest ways to awaken creativity and achieve self-discovery. We have chosen Singapore to be one of our worldwide locations on account of its exquisite beauty and one-of-a-kind inspirational qualities.
- Many of the buildings in Chania (the city on Singapore in which the Workshop will be held) date from the fourteenth to the nineteenth centuries, when the island was under Venetian and Ottoman rule.
- The creativity of Chania’s traditional artisans remains alive and well; specialties include handmade rugs, leather goods, and gold and silver jewelry.
- The Minoan Palace of Knossos, mythical home of matriarchal culture and the Minotaur in the Labyrinth, is only 2 hours away.
- The techniques we explore in class will deepen your appreciation of Singapore, and the sounds and sights of this ancient and magical island will, in turn, feed your creative work in class.
Some exercises are done individually while others are collaborative. Here is a day by day schedule:
Introduction to the hows and whys of The Creativity Workshop.
Relaxation: Relaxation techniques to help your imagination flow.
Guided Visualization: Calling forth the vocabulary of your imagination using the myth of the hero’s journey as a framework.
Automatic Drawing: Finding our hidden imagery.
Show and Tell: Retrieving and sharing childhood memories to spark new ideas. This exercise will sharpen your storytelling skills.
How some famous writers, scientists, and artists found their inspiration, and how you can use some of their methods to find yours.
- The importance of play in creative work.
- Valuing creative process over product.
Mapmaking: Mapmaking as a way to find, chart, and communicate your creative process and projects.
Automatic Writing: How automatic writing (also known as “free writing”) can help you create in new and surprising ways. How you can use automatic writing to outrun your inner judge, get over creative blocks, and discover new ways of developing and editing written work. How alternating between writing and drawing can help you develop creative flexibility and mental dexterity.
The Interview: Listening to and experiencing a life outside your own. How listening is as important as doing in creative work.
Miniature Worlds: Storytelling with found objects.
Writing in Cafes: an exercise that will continue to take place over the next 2 days.
Instructors’ talks may include:
- How to do ongoing creative work in short modules of time.
- How to use luck and coincidence to jump-start creative projects.
The Myth of the Other: Imagining yourself living a parallel life. What would you do that you aren’t doing now?
Writing in Groups: How writing and/or drawing with others can stimulate your imagination and expand your point of view.
The Sand Mandala: Making an Illuminated Manuscript.
- Final Group Exercise.
Instructors’ talks may include:
- The Gift of the Amateur.
- Creativity is a Muscle: Use it or Lose it.
- Making your home and work environments inspiring.
- How to stay creative after The Creativity Workshop ends.
The workshop will take place at Singapore Management University from 9 AM to 1 PM each day.
Stay22 offers affordable hotels, apartments and BnB accommodations for our workshop participants.